Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thrifting! And antiquing, and auctioning...

I was brought up to spend my money wisely, so when it comes to home decor and furnishing, it is hard for me to shell out the big bucks!  So, since spending $80 on a table lamp is not an option, I enjoy finding fun and creative ways to stretch my dollar.  Since there are so many places to get (good) second-hand items, I thought I'd highlight a few today, along with some of my buys.

Antiquing

The following trunk was found at an antique store in South Carolina for (I think) about $50.  I say I think because my husband says it cost closer to $80.  Either way, it was a great deal.  Just wish we would have been a little more careful moving it because it has a few large scratches on it now :(  Sad day.  It is large!  Probably about 5 feet long and 2-3 feet high and wide.  Here you go:

Here's a detail shot.  I love the wood grain!  Inside there is cedar.  I don't have a picture of that right now because the trunk is housing our sheets/extra pillows (in other words it doesn't look too pretty)!


And here's an angle view so you can get more of an idea of the size and style.  It is just so pretty!  


We recently found some door knobs for our house at another antique shop (our house seems to have all original knobs, they are the glass kind, pictures and post will hopefully follow). 

Auctions

I went to my first auction about a year ago and fell in love!  There are auctions for nearly anything you can think of it (just try googling "auctions" in your local area).  I always imagined crazy talking auctioneers and bidding wars, but sometimes you are the only one interested in an item, and you can get it pretty cheap!  Here are a few examples.

First up, a pair of green velvet-y chairs.  Now, the rattan arm sides kind of remind me of the 80's (I contemplated cutting it out, but that just doesn't seem practical.  I've also contemplated painting the wood parts white, but not sure I would like that...  I am so indecisive.


Here's a close-up of one of them.  They we in great shape and I got the for $17.50 each!  Quickly looking around, I found these ones here for more than 10 times that!

 (Sorry about the bunched up curtains on the floor...  I'm still figuring out if I should hem them, get different curtains, etc.  so for now, that's how they're staying)

Up next, the dining room hutch that my husband snatched up for about $60.  I found a similar one for about $400 (at Sears) here.  I would love to paint it white, but my husband says I can't "ruin" good wood, so it will stay like this for now.  It's a bit mismatched now, I'm still finding the best homes for things.  A few of the items on there were other auction buys.




Here's a cute little owl ice bucket (it came in a big box of other things at an auction for under $5).


And here's a cute little copper tea pot.  This was basically a freebie.  I thought I was just bidding on an old cast iron corn muffin pan, but this came with it as a bonus!  Not sure if I'd use it to make tea, but it looks cute on its own!



Clearance

Are you one of those people who walk into the store and immediately ignore anything that doesn't have some sort of sign designating a sale?  No?  Well, that's me.  Whether I'm looking for clothes or home decor, the sale and clearance racks are where its I'm at! 

Here's a few items from Hobby Lobby, and my latest find from Gordman's.  

First up, a # sign!  If you know me, you know I like numbers!  Math and Statistics = fun problems I solve in my sleep (yes I have had dreams in which I solved a math problem I was previously working on)!  Not sure if I will paint this guy or not.


 And here is my awesome bronze-y, shiny elephant I got tonight at Gordman's for 9 bucks!  I couldn't resist!  He's about a foot tall and a foot wide, so he's a pretty hefty guy.  I have plans for putting him on my painted bookshelf once I put the final coat on (details to come).  He's flanked by two Hobby Lobby finds (I love it when their clearance goes 90%).  Originally, these pieces were who knows what color, but after a coat of white paint, they'd fit in anywhere!


Have you guys had any luck with thrift store buys lately?  Share your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment