Saturday, July 30, 2011

DIY Zippered pillow covers!

So, if you are anything like me, you have a ton of fabric stashed away somewhere that you have the perfect project for, BUT you either don't have the time or there's one other thing keeping you from just doing it!  Well, that one thing for me was figuring out how to cut out a perfect square (without a pattern).  Now, I'm sure many people have already mastered this, but I found a quick and easy solution.  All I did was get out a picture frame (another project in waiting...) and trace around the inside, adjusting for length accordingly.  I ended up with a about a 16.5" square, which is what I was hoping for.  Here's a few pics.

First, I laid out the frame so that the pattern on the opposite side of the fabric would line up nicely.  In other words, I didn' want to end up with a crooked looking pillow cover.



Next I just got out a pencil and started drawing, making sure I measured about how long each line was.  If you need a line longer than the frame is, just keep moving the frame along, making sure you match it up with the previous line.




  


Next it was time to start sewing.  I used a great tutorial I found here for creating zippered pillow covers.  She gives great instructions!   It was pretty simple.  My mom and Mrs. Burroughs ("life skills" teacher) would be proud!

 So, I used some fabric I got at a local thrift store for 82 cents.  And, the fabric goes great with my hopefully-soon-to-be duvet cover!  Here's the final product.



And a few close ups.  The print goes great with my chairs and the new coral pillow I just got.



And it's working well with this cute Hobby Lobby find too!



Have you had any recent success with any sewing projects?  Or are you just waiting to get started?  Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment