Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Squash Casserole



Squash, not the squash my husband likes to play with the crazy courts and rackets, but the kind that comes in about every shape possible.  When I was younger, I don't think I gave squash much of a chance.  Of course I liked pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, and I even liked brown sugared acorn squash (who wouldn't?).  *Pumpkin is considered a squash, right?  I don't care if it isn't, it's squash-like enough for me*  But, beyond that I was a squash-hater.  Zucchini bread = plain weird in my book.  So, when my mother-in-law made up some squash casserole, I was skeptical.  Especially since it incorporated stuffing, another non-fave from childhood.  Well, I was pleasantly surprised.   Squash + stuffing + butter = love!  So, here's how I make it.

You will need:
Squash, peeled (I tend to use one zucchini and one yellow squash)
Onion
Carrots (I have used regular peeled and diced carrots, or baby carrots - yes, I can be lazy).
Cream of chicken soup
Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper
1 box stuffing mix (or you can get fancy and make your own)
1/2 cup butter or margarine


1) Start boiling a large pot of water.

2) Peel squash



2a) You can probably start pre-heating your oven now to 350 degrees.




3) Cut up carrots, squash, and onion, they don't have to be tiny, but cut them down enough that they will cook through.

3) Add vegetables to boiling water.  Boil for at least 5 minutes (I start by adding the carrots, then add in the squash and onion as I get the cut)

4) Drain water from the vegetables.


5) Add in 1 cup sour cream and cream of chicken soup.  When I was short on sour cream, I added a little bit of cream cheese which worked well.  For this batch, I added a little bit of Philly Garlic cooking creme, but I really don't think it added anything, so just skip it. 


6) Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.


7) In a separate bowl, melt butter and toss with stuffing.


7) Spread 1/2 of stuffing mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

8) Cover stuffing mixture with squash mixture.


9) Spread/sprinkle the rest of the stuffing mixture on top.





10) Bake in oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.







11) Remove, cool, and enjoy!


***This is so good on its own, or served as a side dish.  Great for holiday get-togethers!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, yes, this is a favorite casserole of mine too. I am lazy with my carrots and use crinkle-cut frozen ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, good idea with the frozen carrots!

    ReplyDelete