Monday, August 15, 2011

Banana Muffins

I love buying old bananas and making banana bread (especially when you get them for 15 cents a pound!).  Or using forgotten brown bananas to make something delicious.  I used the following recipe from our church's old cookbook.  And yes, usually my cookbooks end up with a little egg, butter, and flour stuck on them somewhere.  It gives them character.


Pretty simple recipe.  As for the sour milk, I sometimes put just regular milk in or don't put any at all and haven't noticed too much of a difference really.  I think buttermilk would be good, but I'm not going to buy it just for this recipe!  I also tend to add a tad more salt (like 1/8 tsp) because I think it brings out the flavor more.  I have found that using a potato masher is a really good way to mash up the bananas.  You want to make sure they are really well mashed, like the consistency of baby food I would say.

I made muffins tonight.  I fill the greased muffin tins from 1/2 to 3/4 full depending on how large I want the muffins to come out.  I have found that this recipe makes between 15-20 muffins depending on the size.  Also, for making muffins be sure to cut the baking time.  I put them in for about 15 minutes, then rotate and flip the pans to get even cooking and bake for another 10 minutes.

They should be slightly golden when you take them out, like this:


I made a double batch (I had 7 bananas), so I got 34 muffins.  The best thing is, these muffins get better the next day!  Just make sure to store them closed up.


I put them in a Tupperware cake container for storage.


I find the best way to enjoy them is with a bit of butter.  Yum!



Anyone else baking anything out there lately?

2 comments:

  1. I keep a can of this in my fridge. It also makes awesome pancakes!
    http://sacofoods.com/products/view/cultured-buttermilk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete