Monday, August 26, 2013

Dinner - Filled Squash

Our new neighborhood is proving to be quite friendly.  We've already received banana bread, dessert bars, cucumbers, and squash!  Tonight I used the squash as the base for a simple filling.  Something about black beans, corn, and rotel that makes anything great.  The only other thing to this recipe was shredded chicken (I've used shredded pork and I'm sure ground hamburger, or maybe even quinoa would work as well). 

Recipe:
2-3 chicken breasts, shredded
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can rotel
2 squash, halved
cheddar cheese - optional

* Use whatever meat you have.  I used chicken because I had it in the crockpot while I was at work (just chicken with a little salt, pepper, and water). 
* I've used acorn squash and butternut squash, each has tasted great!

Steps:
1. Scoop the seeds out of the squash and place on foil in a pan.  Bake until tender, about 30-45 mintues at 400 degrees)
2. Meanwhile, combine the other ingredients in a pot and simmer until warm

3. When squash is tender, remove from oven.
4.  Fill squash with mixture, cover with cheese.


5. Broil for 2-3 minutes, take out, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment