Thursday, July 7, 2011

$3 art makeover

So, I have been spying some cute blue and yellow hand towels/napkins at Target for at least a month now, at $4 for two, they weren't really that big of a budget buster, but I didn't want to spend that much being the cheap-o that I am!  So, when I was at Target last week, I was excited to find the towels marked down to just $0.99 for two!  Yay!  I grab up 3 packs.  Then, I had to decide what to do with them.  I am looking at changing our bedroom decor to a light blue/yellow/green/gray palette and thought these would be nice bursts of color to start it out!  So, I wanted to do some kind of art for the walls (they are bare now, which is a lot of naked wall in our super long room!).  Then I remembered these guys:



These are one of the first crafty projects I did when we got married.  I used some clearanced upholstery fabric from Hobby Lobby to cover them, then they hung over the bed as a sort of backboard.  I still like the pattern, but am going for a lighter look when it comes to style (I like everything being nice and cheery!).  So, these had to be swapped out.  As you can see if you look closely below, all I did was staple the fabric to a canvas (also obtained at Hobby Lobby).


 After using a staple remover to unattach the old fabric, this is what I had:


Batting covered canvases!  All I did was staple the batting (the kind that comes in sheets, not the kind for stuffing pillows) to the back of the canvas.  I did this to give it a "fluffier" look.


Next, I had to staple on the dish cloths.  I discovered the patterned dish cloth was not wide enough to cover the entire canvas.  So, what I did was use the solid color dish cloth first for a background.  Here, I stapled the two far short sides first (to make sure everything was nice and wrinkle free), then stapled along the long side.  I left the corners for the end.  Those are detailed below.


 I'm sure there are many ways to get nice corners (leave suggestions below if you have any).  This is what I did (orange nail polish and all!).  I made a pleat in the fabric with one of my fingers, then just folded it over.



 All that was left to do was staple.


I did this to all three canvases and this is what I ended up with (please forgive the wrinkly sheets)!


Now, all I have to do is decide where to hang them.  But, I may wait to do that until we get everything painted.  I am think a nice light gray tone.  I know that sounds drab, but I have seen so many awesome rooms with that wall color!

  See the following:
http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/01/workin-nine-to-um-nine/

Here are a few more shots of the finished product.  Since I already had all of the supplies but the dish towels, this project rang in right around $3.  Not bad for a cheery update!  Any sugggestions for where to hang them?  I was thinking over the bed, but I'm not sure I like that.  Maybe I will frame them out and put them over a dresser.  Decisions, decisions!



No comments:

Post a Comment